Thursday, April 14, 2011

Marshmallow Fluff Rice Krispy Treats


Rice Krispy Treats are a classic, and for good reason-- who can resist the ooey gooey sweet chewy and crunchy taste of this confection? As a vegetarian, though, I struggle with these, because the traditional recipe contains marshmallows, which contain gelatin which contains... well, I won't say it here, but let's just say I don't find it very appetizing. So as an alternative, I tried making these with marshmallow fluff, because it does not contain gelatin.

All in all, the taste was awesome-- my only qualm is with the texture-- the darn things want to fall apart when they get warm.  I let them set in the freezer, and they were perfectly firm, but after they'd been on the counter for a half hour or so, they started to sort of fall apart.  Not very practical for a bakery.  I think I'll try reducing the amount of butter next time to see if that helps.

Recipe



Ingredients
1/4 cup butter (will try using less next time)
1 7oz jar marshmallow fluff
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
5 cups Rice Krispies

Directions
Melt the butter in a large pan (or, in my case, a wok!).  Once the butter is melted, scoop the marshmallow fluff out of the container into the pan with the butter.  I let the jar of fluff sit in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes to thin out the consistency and make it easier to scoop out. Mix until butter and marshmallow fluff are fully incorporated and the consistency is smooth.  Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.  Add Rice Krispies and stir to fully coat the cereal.  Pour the mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper (yep, parchment paper again!).  Place in the fridge to set (or the freezer if you're impatient like I am!).

Note: I actually made these in a 9x13 pan this time, however in hindsight, I think they're better thicker, so next time I'll make them in an 8x8 pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment